Monday, May 19, 2008

Help Me - A Message from a Lost Soul

My brain was still fuzzy and my eyes were not really open when I heard a wailing sound that early morning. Reluctantly, I got up from my bed and listened more intently. Nothing. Even with the pressure to finalize reports, I was still tuned in to the annoying working habits of my male co-worker,such as pounding the keyboard hard as if the force can make the font bolder as in the case of the old reliable typewriters; tapping the printer twice to make it start; and clucking his tongue to express dismay or disapproval. These are just but among the noises that became part of my everyday symphony in my previous workplace. That day,there was another kind of noise. Sobbing. The same sound thatI heard earlier at home.It was louder and I traced the noise to be coming from the corner of my desk. It was coming from a male. They usually come to me when I am half-sleep /half awake, twilight state. This is different. Hesitantly, I asked him, who he is. He wailed some more. He said, he's afraid. He said he he did not know where he is. It's dark. My officemate came in and the noise was gone. Auditors from HK were asking for some back ups. Geee. I came home and sat in the dark for some minute/s. My bulb that was supposed to light up when darkness sets in seemed busted. The crying started again, this time with a plea for help. I was"talking to him" when the phone rung. A friend told me the news. The son of their secretary/caretaker of the office died of unknown reason. He was found sprawled in the hotel patio where he was working as a bellhop. "Was his name...?" I asked. Yes. How did I know his name. The mother called me up. We see each other in the office or partiesut we were never really that close to know about each other's family. I could not blame her if she sounded she was doubting the story. The son intimated to me that before the incident they had a mother-son heart to hear talk about his plan for divorce. He told the mother that there was a third party, another woman. No one knew about this except her mother. The interment was Friday at 12 o clock, noon. I was in the office when I heard the sobs. He was describing to me what he felt. Sadness and fear. In the evening, I was watching the TV when he made his presence felt. He said that his family was praying for his soul and he thought he needed to say something that can get him out of that limbo. I called up the mother. She did not take the phone. They were praying for the repose of the departed son. I left a message to call me when they are finished. I was about to go to bed when the phone rung. It was the mother. She asked me if I have a message from his son. The message was to invoke the assistance of a a guide to help him from that "darkness"he was in. He was too scared to move.She asked if he said something about the cause of his death. I said he refused to talk about it. The third day of the prayer, I was visited again by the young man's spirit. He said he was moving on. He thanked me for listening. I asked him before he finally said goodye why did he chose to comunicate with me. At that time, he was frantic, he just sobbed and hoped that somebody would hear. I heard him.

No comments: